The 14th December 2009 will be the 70th anniversary of
the opening of the Percival Leigh Branch Library in Cross Gates. The library
was opened in December 1939 on the site of an old farm at one time owned
by John Wilson of Seacroft. Designed by local architect Charles Castelow
and named after Percival Leigh, former Lord Mayor of Leeds and chairman
of the Libraries and Arts Committees, the library was regarded as one
of the finest examples of its kind, not just in Britain but world wide.
To commemorate the opening and celebrate the years of service the library
has provided to the area, ELHAS and Library Services have combined to
offer a week long series of events starting on Saturday 12th December.
Sat 12th Dec
Thurs 17th Dec
There will be something for everyone to enjoy during the week, so please come along and join in the fun. We would be especially delighted to welcome former staff members and any one who used the library during its very early years.
Details of all the above programme are listed in a leaflet
available from the library. For more information on the history of the
library please see issue 14 of 'The Leeds History Journal' available in
the Library or see the 'Publications'
page on this website.