Meeting Report - November 2011
The last meeting of 2011 was a nostalgic look at the east Leeds villages of Seacroft and Halton.
Hosted by Jacki and Bob Lawrence. 44 members
and guests gathered to view the illustrated talk and reminisce about times
past. The presentation took the format of a virtual walk around the two
villages viewing a collection of photographs from the past and the present.
Many of the photographs were over 100 years old and showed Seacroft and
Halton when they were small villages, outside the jurisdiction of Leeds
The Cricketers Arms around 1912
The Cricketers Arms in 2011
The presentation began at the entrance to
Seacroft village just before the Barwick road roundabout, at the point
of York road which was originally known as Town Street. Progressing up
York Road we looked at the site of Seacroft Hall, built in 1605 by the
Shillito family and demolished in the fifties when the estate was bought
by Leeds City Council. We also looked at the former police station, still
standing and now a dentist's surgery, former shops, some now houses, the
Methodist Chapel and St James's Church. Finally, we looked at Seacroft
Grange, home to the Tottie Family now sadly a relic of its former self
and Seacroft windmill which is incorporated in the Ramada Jarvis hotel.
Chapel Street around 1860
Chapel Street in 2011
Moving from Seacroft to Halton the same pattern
was repeated, beginning with a lovely view of Green Lane from 1908. After
viewing many images along Cross Green Lane and Chapel street, including
the former Methodist and Congregational churches, we arrived at Selby
road. Fortunately, two of the oldest buildings in Halton, Dial House and
the Woodman Inn still remain much as they were when first built in the
The meeting ended with the audience enjoying warm drinks and mince pies and carrying on the discussion of their recollections.